Sunday, May 3, 2009

Truth and Consequences


Truth and Consequences

Cold, bright and quiet are words I would use to describe my courtroom before I enter. Fear and uncertainty are written on the faces of defendants awaiting their trial. Sweat pours down the faces of some as they know my reputation for always getting to the bottom of things. People do not look me in the eye for fear of giving themselves away. Another day of truth and consequences begins.
As I enter the room, my twelve cases are running through my mind, and I search the courtroom to match up the case with the defendant. The man up front is smirking about the amazing sex he had with his wife last night. He knows he is not guilty of the petty theft he is being charged with, and so do I. The man with the long blond hair is busy rehearsing in his head what he will say to me. He is a wise man and is planning on telling the truth. How do I know? My name is Judge Stephanie and I can read men’s minds.
I developed this wonderful talent 3 years ago after nearly being electrocuted by my toaster. After that experience, things were never the same. Everywhere I went, I could hear the thoughts of men, many of which I wish I did not have to hear. It took me over a year to learn how to control this new power. Now I am able to hear many thoughts all at once. I can turn this power on and off, or I can now just tune into one man at a time if I want.
After discovering my new rare talent, many professions opened up to me. I worked as a couples’ therapist, a personal shopper, and a private detective. All were made simpler by being able to read the minds of the men involved. But none of these options helped eased the ache in my soul. As a young girl I was raped, and the guilty person never experienced any consequences for what he had done. The need for justice ran through me every day, and although I could not get justice for myself, I knew I could use my power to get justice for others.
The path to my goal hit me like a lightening bolt one day while I was walking down the street. I tuned into one man’s mind, and did not like what I found. Apparently he had raped a woman and tricked a judge into believing he was innocent. He got away with that terrible crime, free and clear. It was at that moment I decided I wanted to be a judge, so that type of mistake could never be made again. Guilty men would be put away. The dirt bags of my city would get what they deserve, and people would know that they could not get away with causing pain to others.
As I scanned my courtroom, I looked for the first case. It was a man being charged with killing his wife. He was claiming innocence and accusing his best friend. Since both men were in the room, I thought it would be easy to get to the bottom of the story. It was not as easy as I thought. The case was a little more complicate as it turns out both men worked together to kill her because she was sleeping around. That threw me for a loop for a moment, but then the truth became clear. It always does. Two more criminals off the street. On to the next case. A rape. A chance for more closure, for me and the victim. Guilty!
Supreme Court Justice image.

1 comment:

  1. I like how the super power literally gives the narrator the empowerment to fight back.

    ReplyDelete