Sunday, May 3, 2009

English and me


The Few, the Proud, the Students Who Completed English 111

My experience in English 111 was nothing like I expected. I believe this was in part due to my English teacher’s expectations. While I understand that this is college and it requires work, I was not expecting the amount of work required, nor the difficult grading scale used to evaluate our writing. In talking with other students who have completed English 111, they did not have to do nearly the amount of work, and their grades were calculated by their ability to improve their writing by the end of the semester. They only needed to complete the minimum requirement of writing 3500 words.
Our class started out very full, but as it continued, approximately half the class dropped out. In part this was due to realizing that we would be writing more than 3500 words to complete this class. In addition, when reading the prompts for writing projects that would be due, it looked very overwhelming and seemed as if you would have to be a perfect writer even in the beginning of the class. It was more than many expected, including myself.
I am not saying anything bad about my teacher, just that he does things a little differently and has high expectations. My teacher is actually a cool guy, who is funny and smart and only wants to see us achieve greatness. He expects a lot from his students, because he truly believes that we can do it. He wants us to reach within ourselves, and learn new things about ourselves, while learning the proper techniques for writing good essays.
I learned a lot in this class. Before attending this class I never knew what a blog was, or rhetorical appeals such as ethos, pathos or logos. I liked the fact that for everything we wrote we needed to include something about our audience. I think having us focus on our audience for each essay was a good thing, because as writers we are more likely to focus on ourselves and what we want to say, and not consider the needs of those reading our writing. I can notice a big change in my own writing. If I look at the first essay I wrote, and then compare it to the last, I can see that I sounded more educated and I made many less errors.
All and all, although my teacher was tough and required a lot more work than I anticipated, I believe I came out a better writer with skills to write an awesome essay. So, my advice to you is to be ready, willing and able to work, and to join the ranks of the few, the proud, the students who completed English 111.
Handwriter image.

1 comment:

  1. "The Few, the Proud, the Students Who Completed English 111"

    Great title, and unfortunately true in the few aspect. Hopefully these few will be much more prepared for the remainder of their college careers.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete